General troubleshooting tips for mobile devices
- Restart your device. It might sound simple, but sometimes that's all it takes to fix a bad connection.
- If restarting doesn't work, switch between Wi-Fi and mobile data:
- Open your Settings app "Wireless & networks" or "Connections". Depending on your device, these options may be different.
- Turn Wi-Fi off and mobile data on, and check to see if there's a difference.
- If not, turn mobile data off and Wi-Fi on and see if that works.
Fix mobile data problems
First, check that mobile data is turned on and you have a data connection.
- Open your Settings app "Wireless and Networks" or "Connections" Mobile data or Cellular data. On some devices, you may need to select "Data usage" before you see this.
- Turn mobile data on. If it's already on, turn it off and on again.
- Check that there is a data indicator (for example, 2G, 3G, 4G, H) next to the signal strength bars at the top of the screen .
- Note that sometimes this will not display if you have an active Wi-Fi connection. If this is the case, turn Wi-Fi off and check back.
If you don't see a signal data indicator, you may be in an area without coverage. If you can, move to a different area (for example, go outside) and check your signal again.
Note: If this happens a lot, contact your mobile service provider.
Fix Wifi Problems
Check that Wi-Fi is turned on and you are connected.
- Open your Settings app "Wireless and Networks" or "Connections" tap Wi-Fi. Depending on your device, these options may be different.
- Turn Wi-Fi on.
- Find the Wi-Fi connection indicator at the top of your screen .
- If this is not displayed, or none of the bars are filled in, you may be out of range of a Wi-Fi network.
- Move closer to the router, check to see if you have a stronger Wi-Fi connection, and try again.
Restart your wireless router.
If you are connecting to Wi-Fi at home, check your router's manual for instructions on how to reset it. Often you can:
- Unplug the router from the electrical outlet and make sure the lights on the router go out.
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Plug the router back in and wait 30 seconds for all the lights to come back on.